Saturday, 2 February 2008

Tudor House Downstairs

The Downstairs of the Tudor house is a hall, which is basically a family room.

The room contains what seems like a lot.

In the corner are the stairs leading to the upstairs. Next to these is a Corner cupboard, which contains pewter tankards and wooden bowls, peaking out from under the cupboard is a mouse. Hanging from the stairs are dried herbs.

Next to the Cupboard on the back wall is a Fire place, made simply from card and covered with brick paper this the prototype or the real one I intend to make. Inside the fireplace a cooking pot hangs over the fire. The fire back was a white metal one which I painted with black acrylic and the rubbed over with some pewter coloured "rub-on"On the mantle is a small drawer unit for storing herbs etc, complete with fresh garlic.

In front of the fire is a table again after much searching I could not find a simple enough table, so this was made from Balsa and stained to match other items. The table contains some of our early attempts at food making, including a boars head and an almost ready bird. The family hunting dog can be seen under the table.


At the front of the room in front of the window is a settle again this was an unstained kit, that I assembled and stained.


In the corner of the room at the bottom of the stairs can be seen several large storage pots, a broom and the family Chicken which is sitting on eggs.

The floor boards are real oak dolls house floorboards purchased from eBay, they are a joy to work with. I followed instructions in a book and glue the boards to material before fitting into house, the material I used was to the thin and the boards are not completely flat, but thus actually makes the house feel more authentic, the boards were then waxed to bring out the natural colour of the wood.

No comments: